Monday, March 24, 2014

London Guide: Thursday Nights at Mestizo

I have written about Mestizo before, so excuse me for sharing this restaurant with you again, but further plaudits are required. I've been here for dinner several times, for a tequila tasting last May, and for Sunday brunch back in September, but I recently visited Mestizo for its Thursday night event Downstairs at Mestizo.  



Mexican Thursday (or Jueves Mexicano) is held in the basement room next door to the restaurant. As the flyer says, tacos start from £1 and range up to £3. There is a huge selection, and they are all delicious, authentic tacos.  There is a full bar, with deals on Corona and a chosen cocktail from 7-8pm.  The night that we went, the cocktail special was the Paloma (tequila and grapefruit) and was delicious.


The atmosphere was great. This being the club section of Mestizo, there was a DJ playing latin music and everyone was dancing.  There are little booths around the outside of the room, behind which the otherwise red-painted walls feature an expertly painted mural of notable British cultural figures feasting as if in Mexico, with people like Frida Kahlo lingering in the background.

The only downside to the evening was waiting in the queue. Tacos and drinks are bought with a ticket system - i.e. you pay for the number/price of tacos and drinks that you want in return for tickets, and then you use the tickets at the kitchen counter or the bar. This means queueing twice and, at certain points of the night, this took around 15 minutes.

As far as I am aware, this festivity occurs every Thursday night as Mestizo, so you might as well head over there and get some inexpensive and super tasty tacos and tequila.

Ratings: (numbers out of 10, £ out of 4) 

Food: 8
Atmosphere: 8
Service: 8
Price: ££
Overall experience: 8

1 comment:

  1. Hi There!
    Thank you so much for this post! I was looking for some information about Mestizo, and found your article. This is exactly what I needed to convince me!
    I've been in love with Mexico for almost 4 years, and every time I travel there and then come back to Europe, I miss the food SO MUCH
    Now I can't wait to go try the Jueves Mexicanos, and also the brunch that you wrote about in another post !
    Thanks again for this :) you definitely convinced me ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...