Tuesday, March 18, 2014

London Guide: The Table Cafe


I tried to get into The Table cafe for brunch a few months ago on a bit of a time squeeze, and the 45-minute wait for a table for two sent me straight back out the door. Luckily, when I tried back this time, we waited only 5 minutes before we were seated and well on our way to brunching.

The Table in Southwark, located just back off the south bank of the Thames, was founded by an architect and boasts responsibly sourced ingredients on its all-day dining and brunch menus.  I like a restaurant that lists its suppliers on its website and makes a public statement on its commitment to sustainable food. The decor of the restaurant is minimal yet warm and, while I sometimes feel that this type of decor takes away from a restaurant experience, the design of the restaurant added to a focus on the food.


Brunch at The Table is served from 8:30am to 4pm, which is pretty late for London. Not a boozy brunch, I had a cappuccino and a Jump Start smoothie, with banana, strawberry, honey and spice - both were great. I had read online that the sweet corn fritters were back on the menu by popular demand, so I felt obliged to order them. The fritters are served with two perfectly cooked poached eggs, well-seasoned (and not too salty) char-grilled tomato compote, baby leaf spinach and hollandaise. I got a side of bacon, which was crispy, American-style bacon, and the whole meal was excellent. One of my friends got something else, and I can't even remember what it was - I was entirely too focused on what I was eating. Next time, I think I'm going to have to try the true blue waffles with fresh blueberries and cream or the grilled lemon, brown sugar and butter or bacon, caramelised banana and maple syrup buttermilk pancakes. How could I say no to that?


The Table's all-day dining menu looks great too, and the restaurant is now open for dinner. The all-day menu is simple but covers all of the bases with all day breakfast, burgers, salads and sweet dishes.  The dinner menu is not yet available, but watch this space.

Ratings: (numbers out of 10, £ out of 4) 

Food: 8
Atmosphere: 8
Service: 8
Price: ££
Overall experience: 8
(Photos from The Table website)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...