Monday, September 30, 2013

London Guide: Brunch at Mestizo

Yesterday, sporting a bit of a hangover from a Saturday night out in London, K, a friend and I did something that has been on my London to-do list for a long time - we had brunch at Mestizo.

I posted about a tequila tasting that K and I had attended at Mestizo back in May, and I firmly stand by my claim that Mestizo is the best Mexican restaurant in London (by a long way).  Every Sunday, Mestizo has an all-you-can-eat brunch buffet from noon to 4pm (£19.99 for adults, kids under a metre tall eat for free), and it did not disappoint.

Mestizo typically has a more upscale feel, but the atmosphere at brunch was very warm and relaxed.  With a small selection of servers, seating for around 35 people (reservations are a must) and groups of families and friends, brunch at Mestizo feels like going to a relatives house for a family event.

The buffet was set up with traditional Mexican dishes (ribs, chicken, beef, mole, cilantro potatoes), stews and soups and tamales, with tacos, quesadillas and egg dishes to order.








I got a bit excited and started with some traditional Mexican mains, including chicken, a spicy chicken soup, cilantro potatoes, black beans and chips and guacamole.  Everything was very good, even if I wasn't 100% sure what everything was.  I was really surprised by the cilantro potatoes, given that I do not particularly like cilantro (UK read: coriander) unless its only a very subtle part of a salsa or other complex Mexican or Indian dish.  They tasted very fresh, and there was definitely some garlic drawing away the soapy taste that I personally think cilantro tends to take on.


I had an order of huevos rancheros but got so excited about them that I forgot to take a photo - they were too good for pausing.  Made up of a flour tortilla, two fried eggs, red salsa, salsa verde, black beans and rice, this is generally one of my favourite breakfasts and this dish at Mesitzo did not disappoint.  Each of the salsas was very good.


I then just about managed to have some chicken mole, a tamale and two tacos.  The rajas con crema taco, made up of poblano pepper cooked with sweet corn and onion in a cream sauce, was very good and felt like something made lovingly by a grandmother.  The pastor taco, with marinated pork and pineapple, was really great - the sweet citrus of the pineapple wasn't too strong to overtake the spicy marinated pork and the flavours went really well together.  The tamale tasted fantastic, although it had been subject to the buffet downfall of being slightly dry after having stood in the steamer too long.  The chicken mole was amazing!  Mestizo's annual Mole Festival begins on 26 October, in the run up to Dia de los Muertos, and I would highly recommend going.


This is the full brunch menu accessible on the Mestizo website, but the buffet on the day contains a number of Mexican mains that are not on this list:



Ratings: (numbers out of 10, £ out of 4)

Food: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Service: 9
Price: £
Overall experience: 9

3 comments:

  1. Hey! How are you, haven't talked to you in ages. So after this post, I might just have to go check out Mestizo. Been hearing about it for ages, but always thought the menu was a bit too gourmet mexican for my liking, I'm a Tex-Mex girl. I hate mole, but the menudo looks amazing! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghan! I'm good, how are you? We should actually catch up sometime! You definitely have to go to Mestizo. It's not Tex Mex, but it's the real deal and there's still a big selection of tacos and stuff. It's all so good!

      Delete
  2. It is a Nice blog. breakfast cafes in london Thanks for sharing this useful information of food which should be added in breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...