Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Drink This: The Chelsea Rose

I know that only yesterday I wrote that the cool summer nights had me thinking of fall, but don't get me wrong - I am not ready to let summer go.  In an attempt to hang on to the warm days and the sunshine, I've been keeping myself in the summer mood with fruity cocktails.  This week, I've gone for a celebration of English summertime with the Chelsea Rose.

Don't be fooled by the name - there's no rose in this cocktail (I really can't stand rose-flavoured anything).  The name is referring to the London neighbourhood of Chelsea and the English Rose, for which Chelsea is somewhat renowned.  By "English Rose," I don't mean the flower that grows on a thorny bush (which England obviously also does well) but the classic image of female English beauty - natural, pale-skinned, rosy-cheeked, dignified, and demure (but not in the modern nasty sense).  English women possessing this natural beauty are still referred to as English Roses.  



The ingredients in this cocktail all have English ties (gin, elderflower, English raspberries)
and the colour when mixed is the reminiscent of rosy cheeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...