Tuesday, July 30, 2013

London Guide: Stein's Richmond

My apologies for getting off to a late start this week. I must admit, I had a very relaxing and indulgent weekend, and then had to travel to Reading yesterday for work (I'm not sure those are good excuses).  Anyway, I promise that the restaurant in today's London Guide was worth the wait!





Stein's opened on Richmond riverside in 2004, with a second branch opening in Kingston-upon-Thames in the last couple of years, and is an amazing place to spend even a remotely nice day on the riverside, let alone a gorgeous English summer day.  Providing "the Bavarian experience," Stein's has a huge menu of genuine Bavarian and other German cuisine and, as its name suggests, an array of German beer served in steins (you can get pints too, if you're not quite in it for the drinking).  However, if you are seriously in it for the drinking, be aware that their license stipulates that you have to order food with your beers. 

The riverside location of Stein's makes it a difficult place to get a seat on a sunny day, and you may have to queue.  Alternatively, you can make reservations.








The food at Stein's is seriously good.  I've only been to Munich once, and it was back in 2008, but from what I remember, this food definitely hits the mark for taste and for authenticity.  The menu is fairly extensive, so you can get smaller plates of sausages with various potato side or, if you're in a group, they have some amazing looking sharing platters.


I have only been with K during our local weekend wanderings (we are fortunate enough to live a short walk away), so we've just ordered sausage plates.  The first time, I ordered the M├╝nchner Bratw├╝rst with panfried potatoes, sauerkraut and salad (pictured below), and K went for the chicken schnitzel with potato salad (also below).  I have also had the currywurst, which was delicious. I cannot eat here without ordering at least one pretzel (read: no less than two), especially as they have that sweet German mustard and, for some reason, I don't feel guilty about filling an entire plate with it.

I need to round up a few friends and entice them down to Richmond (most Londoners feel this pocket of London is far too west, but they don't know what they're missing), because there's a giant sausage feast for 8, which they serve on a meter-long wooden board, suspended on steins and overflowing with German delights, that I have my eyes on.  








I took an Instavid, which also involved a stunning plate of currywurst, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it to Blogger - shame.

This will certainly be a regular for me from now on - I just wish it hadn't taken me nearly two years of living in the neighbourhood to discover it!

Ratings: (numbers out of 10, £ out of 4)

Drinks: 9
Food: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Service: 8
Price: ££
Overall experience: 9.5

(Images: mostly taken by me, for once, a few c/o Stein's)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...