Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

Happy birthday America! 


The 4th of July is one of my favourite holidays (nothing beats Christmas, I'm sorry), and it is a holiday that I miss celebrating properly so much!  This is certainly one of my expat woes.  I miss the day off of work the BBQs, the red, white and blue desserts, the lawn games, the fireworks and the partying that happens on the 3rd of July. 

There are expat celebrations in London (see here and here), which always feel a little bit mischievous because it means celebrating America's independence from the country you are in currently (although, in reality, no one cares, this was a very long time ago now, and no one wishes your countrymen never through that tea into the harbour more than you, purely for visa reasons). In any event, not having the day off means that any weekday celebrations are inevitably tacked on to a long, London workday.

So today I will be raising a glass (eventually) to America and to all of my fellow Americans and will be living vicariously through all the photos you post on Facebook later.

(Photos from unknown sources on Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...