Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Watch This: Daria on Netflix

Last week, it came to my attention that all five seasons of Daria
are on Netflix. You can guess what I did next...



Daria ran on MTV from 1997 to 2001, and I watched it religiously.
I can remember whole weekends spent in my room watching Daria marathons.
Watching it again now, Daria is taking on another level of delightfulness,
as I'm realising that my 11- to 15-year-old self probably missed out on a lot of the
really subtle, dry humour, that my 27-year-old self really appreciates.

I also didn't know until now that Daria was a Beavis and Butt-head spinoff - 
apparently Daria appeared on that show as a recurring character.
(For the record, running from 1992-1997, my parents thought I was bit too young
for Beavis and Butt-head but I would secretly watch it with my older step-brother to be cool 
- I don't remember seeing Daria there.)




What I love about Daria is that she's smart.  She's not just a cynical
character rebelling against stereotypes of middle-to-upperclass suburbia,
her commentary is witty, intelligent and normally keeps the other characters aloof.

I'd like to think that suburban high school hasn't changed that much since the Daria days,
except that now there's a near certainty your humiliation will also play out on the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...