Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
is a book of essays, stories and "pliests" (pieces with a list-y quality) of Mindy's
thoughts on romance, men, female friendships, Hollywood, comedy and her childhood.
Her observations are frank and often very funny.
This book really made me laugh in public.
This book is part autobiography and part opinion, with parts entitled
"I Forget Nothing: A Sensitive Kid Looks Back" (the title page for which contains the above
childhood photo of Mindy), "I Love New York and It Likes Me OK," "The Best Distraction
in the World: Romance and Guys," and "My Appearance: The Fun and the Really
Not Fun," among others - which gives you a flavour of the areas spanned by the book.
Mindy also discusses her journey to her position as a writer on The Office
and gives a glimpse of her day-to-day as a television writer in Hollywood.
The chapters containing lists (or pliests as Mindy calls them) might be my favourite.
Examples include "Best Friend Rights and Responsibilities," "Types of Women in
Romantic Comedies Who Are Not Real," and "My Favorite Eleven Moments in Comedy."
If I had to choose my favourite of Mindy's lists, it would be (either moments in comedy or)
"Guys Need to Do Almost Nothing to Be Great." This is a list of Mindy's "incredibly
presumptuous guide to being an awesome guy, inside and out" (but mostly out).
1. Buy a well-fitting peacoat from J.Crew
2. Have a signature drink like James Bond
3. Own several pairs of dark-wash straight-leg jeans
4. Wait until all the women have gotten on or off an elevator before you get on or off
5. When you think a girl looks pretty, say it
6. Avoid asking if someone needs help in a kitchen or at a party, just start helping
7. Have one great cologne that's not from the drugstore
8. Your girlfriend's sibling or parents might be totally nuts, but always defend them
9. Kiehl's for your skin, Bumble and Bumble for your hair
10. I really think guys only need two pairs of shoes
11. Bring wine or chocolate to everything
12. Get a little jealous now and again, even if you're not strictly a jealous guy
So if you haven't read this book already, go read it!