Monday, January 7, 2013

London Guide: The Modern Pantry

Happy New Year!
I hope everyone's holidays were wonderful.
I had a really great 12 days in the US (hence the blog hiatus),
but I'm glad to be back home in London with a new year
of things to look forward to.

While I was in New York, I ate some form of brunch on at 
least half of the days that I was there.  Nothing beats a good New
York brunch.  Luckily, as I may have alluded to previously,
London is catching on to the New York-style brunch, and
when London does brunch, it does it well.

One of my favourite brunch spots in London is
The Modern Pantry on St John's Square in Clerkenwell.



Every time I've been to The Modern Pantry it has been bustling - 
with busy cafe-style tables on the ground floor by the counter
and larger tables in rooms upstairs.  The restaurant has a great design aesthetic,
with a muted palette against which they typically display quirky local art.




The brunch food at The Modern Pantry is something special. Their menu is filled 
with delights like raspberry and ricotta pancakes with roast apricots and creme fraiche 
or sweetcorn, green chili, feta and curry leaf waffles with smoked streaky bacon, 
roast tomato, avocado, spring onion and yuzu salsa.

My personal favourite item on the brunch menu is the tea smoked salmon with
two poached eggs on an English muffin with yuzu hollandaise.
The brunch cocktails definitely hit their mark - the Bloody Mary is really spicy
and the Lychee Bellini is the perfect amount of sweet.


I haven't been to The Modern Pantry for dinner, but they offer both £35 
and £45 set menus, as well as an all day menu and different group menus.
They all look amazing.

Chef and owner of The Modern Pantry, Anna Hansen, shares her views
on modern cooking and her reasons behind the restaurant in this video:


She's also released The Modern Pantry Cookbook, so you can cook with more
exotic ingredients like a pro at home.


(All restaurant images from The Modern Pantry)

Ratings: (numbers out of 10, £ out of 4)
Food: 8
Atmosphere: 9
Service: 8
Price: ££
Overall experience: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...