Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Eat This: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
(recipe courtesy of my mother)
(Let's pretend this is my soup - it's not, it came from here.)
(To be fair, my soup looked good but I need to brush up on my food photography...)

For 6 starter-sized servings (1 cup):
2 ½ lb. butternut acorn squash
(although I used 2 1/2 squashes and that worked well)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 ½ cups diced shallot
½ tsp. dried thyme
1 small bay leaf
3 ½ cups vegetable broth
1 Tbsp. honey
1/3 cup cream (single or double)

I also had a spare buffalo bone from some steaks we had earlier in the week,
so I through that in to give the stock more depth.  This is obviously optional.



Preheat oven to 350. 
Split squash in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds 
and fibers from the cavity. 
Season cut side of squash with 1 tsp. of salt and place flesh side down in lightly 
buttered baking dish, glass dish or baking sheet with parchment paper.




Add ½ cup of water to the baking pan. Bake 1 to 1 ½ hours, 
until the skin is browned and the flesh is tender when pierced with knife. 




Remove from the oven and let rest until cool enough to handle. 
Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and discard the skin.
In large pot, heat the butter until its foaming. Add diced shallots and season 
with ½ tsp. salt. Sprinkle in the thyme and add the bay leaf. 
Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the shallots are tender and translucent 
(do not allow to color), for about 10 minutes. Add squash. 
Season with additional salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add broth and bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, 
stirring occasionally. Season to taste( I added garlic powder and allspice). 
Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the honey. Cool slightly. 
Puree soup, one half at a time, in blender or food processor.
Return soup to clean pot and bring to a simmer. 
Stir in ¼ cup of cream and and heat through. Season if needed.
Drizzle with remaining cream or garnish with herbs.

My mom actually adds 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmag with the cream,
but I think it makes the soup too sweet (it's pretty sweet to begin with)
and takes away from the herbs you toast off with the onions at the beginning.

I cooked the squash the night before.
From that point, it took me just over an hour to make the soup before
it was ready to eat.

As I said above, let's just pretend that's a picture of my soup at the top.
In all honesty, the pictures I took at the end just didn't do the soup justice.
And then I got too hungry to put it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...