Friday, September 21, 2012

Penguin Drop Caps

I have a thing for books - especially books with well-designed covers.
This fall, Penguin is introducing its Drop Caps series, and I can't wait.
The Penguin Drop Caps series will consist of 26 Penguin Classics with
each cover featuring a specially commissioned illustrated letter of the alphabet
designed by Jessica Hische, the designer behind the blog Daily Drop Cap.
Each letter represents the surname of an author.

The series is kicking off with letters A through F for the following titles:
A - Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
B - Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre
C - Willa Cather's My Antonia
D - Charles Dickens' Great Expectations
E - George Elliot's Middlemarch
F - Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovery

As you can see, the covers are absolutely beautiful...






I am intrigued by the colour spectrum and how it will continue through the alphabet.

After reading Jeffrey Eugenides' The Marriage Plot, I have been wanting
to read some classic literature with a renewed vigour.
I definitely have my eyes on "A," "B" and "D," and maybe "E" and "F" too
(I'll be honest, I'm only leaving "C" out because I'm unfamiliar with it!).
So I'm pretty sure that if I start buying a couple, I might end up with all 26.

The first six books in the series are available on Amazon at the 
end of the November in the UK.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...